Veterans who have served have earned their right to purchase a home, and VA loans can help make that happen. You must not only meet lender credit standards, but you must also be eligible for a VA loan. How do you use your VA home loan benefits? To meet VA Loan eligibility requirements, you must meet one of the VA loan requirements, which could include:
- 90 or more consecutive days of active service during wartime
- 181 days during peacetime
- 6 years in National Guard or Reserves or at least 30 days consecutively under Title 32 orders.
- In addition, those married to a service member who died while serving or due to a service-related disability may also be eligible for VA loans.
So if you are an eligible veteran and want to realize your dream of owning a home, you should look into VA loan requirements and see if you meet any of them.
First Step in obtaining a VA loan – Obtaining a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA
Veterans looking to take advantage of VA loan benefits may be concerned that they must meet the basic service requirements to apply. However, eligibility in such cases depends on the discharge type, and you may still qualify:
- Those discharged for hardship, at the government’s convenience, or reduction in force;
- Those with a medical condition or service-connected disability
- Those with an early out after serving at least 21 months of a two-year enlistment may still qualify for a VA loan.
When applying for a VA loan, Lenders need to verify the minimum VA loan requirements set by the Veteran’s Administration. As such, they require what is known as a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to confirm eligibility. Fortunately, this process is simple and can be handled quickly by your lender: all that’s needed is your social security number and date of birth. Even in cases where it may be more complex, you don’t need to obtain your COE before you start your application. So don’t let it hold you back from taking advantage of this great VA loan benefit!
How to get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
Obtaining your Certificate of Eligibility for a VA loan is an essential part of the process. Fortunately, there are three ways to obtain your COE
- By applying through us, your VA-approved lender
- online through the VA’s eBenefits portal
- or by mail with VA Form 26-1880.
Issues are typically resolved quickly with electronic processes since they take less time to complete and two-thirds of COEs are issued immediately. However, depending on which service type you fall under, va loan requirements may require additional forms such as the DD Form 214 for the regular military or NGB Forms 22 and 23 for National Guard and Reserves. Make sure to familiarize yourself with all va loan requirements before embarking on the application process. It ensures that your loan proceeds smoothly with minimal delays!
Additional VA loan resources
If you are a veteran looking for the best VA loan interest rate possible, look no further. We are passionate about getting you the best VA loan interest rate as an act of gratitude for your hard-fought service to this country. Our team of experienced loan officers has extensive knowledge of VA loan programs, and they will work with you to find the VA loan that brings you the highest savings on your home loan. When you pair our exceptional customer service with the most competitive VA loan rates available, you can get the best VA loan possible, and know that we will do whatever it takes to ensure your needs are taken care of! Learn more about your VA home loan benefits by calling us now!
Get your FREE VA Rate quote!